Friday, June 19, 2015

Hannover to Goettingen

Jana (pronounced Yana for those who are not Germany savvy) and I woke up and went grocery shopping the morning after I got to her parent's house in Hannover. We walked there and I reminisced about my ability to remember the area even after almost 8 years.

Also, this chocolate in called Cat Tongue. I thought that was particularly funny.

Jana and I caught a train an hour south to Goettingen; that is where she attends college and lives with her boyfriend Philipp. We went grocery shopping more there (here, where i am currently) and hung out. Today we went wandering around town after she got off work (she is working on finishing up her PhD in Dentistry; so proud!). I will now proceed to barrage you with pictures that I took with some captions pertaining to them.

 There is a Best Western across the street from her place. I found this funny. She also lives between two hospitals and a fire department. The sirens make me laugh though because they still use real sirens and not electronic ones. They sound like clown cars. She and Philipp both spend all of their time working at the hospital.
 This is the neighbor. He says hi. He really likes watching people out the window.
 This is the the sign they have on the bathroom door in their apartment. Philipp and Jana brought these signs back from Peru when they were studying there, among many other fantastic things.
 The sign above the toilet from Peru.
 The naked fat guy on the towel they gave me to use while I am here. I am rather fond of him.
 The view from the back of their house, one of the many door/windows in the living room where I am sleeping.
 Coconut oil for my skin! Hooray!
 These wax ear plugs are freakin amazing! They blocked out all siren sounds last night.
 My family and I made it on her wall of hanging pictures! Hooray for extended family around the world!
 Mom and Jana being doofy.
 Found my rice cakes here in German! They have many stores dedicated to gluten free and organic. Yum!
 The signs above her trashcan reminding them that we throw away 1/8 of all food we consume on average.

 Me today!
 You can't experience a city without taking in the local art.
 Architecture and church in the distance!
 Flower shop!
 Sweet shop!
 More sweet shop!

 Jana and Danni selfie.
 Famoud statue in Goettingen that all PhD students kiss upon graduating. She is a goose herding girl.
 Random English graffiti

 I just like this sign
 I like the face at the bottom.
 Sound transfer tunnel
 storage shed in the old botanical gardens
GIANT PLANTS!

That is all for now. We are going to visit some of her friends in a city to the south tomorrow. Very exciting!

For those who do not know, Goettingen is very very old and has many of it's original buildings. This is because during the war (II), Germany agreed not to bomb Oxford and Cambridge in exchange for the British not bombing Goettingen and another historical college town. Cool huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment