Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Heidelberg, Castles, Gardens, and Solo Trips to the Grocery Store


Sorry for the extended time since the last update. Well... sorry, not sorry. Jana and I have been traveling, walking more than my short American legs are used to, and eating delicious food. I will not begin my picture narrative.

This is Jana talking on the phone. I just chose to take a picture to see if she was paying attention. She was.
 Here are some pictures from the 4 hour bus trip to Heidelberg. It was a double decker bus with a bathroom, wifi, food, and drinks. We got seats at the very front and had a wonderful view of the countryside as we traveled south from Goettingen and closer to the Alps.

 Jana and myself on the bus.
 The funny sign in the bathroom on the bus. It was hard to get a clear picture, but the sign is funny nonetheless.
 More rolling hills in Germany!
 Heidelberg Castle!
 Attempt to take a selfie with a real camera. I have never understood how people do that. Maybe my arms are too short.
 More castle!

 Jana, Tina, Sammy, and myself. Jana knows Tina and Sammy from dental school. They all got their doctorates together.. Tina and Sammy are now both working at the hospital in Heidelberg and were gracious enough to show us around and let us stay with them.
 "The Heidelberg Tun, or the “World’s Largest Wine Barrel”, was built in 1751 by Prince Elector Karl Theodor to house the wine paid as taxes by the wine growers of the Palatine. It stands seven meters high, is eight and a half meters wide, holds 220,000 liters (58,124 gallons) of wine, and has a dance floor built on top of it."
 We also went to the apothecary museum that is in the castle, but I forgot to take pictures.
 This is the river that runs through Heidelberg and all the way into the Alps. You can follow it for a very long way through Germany.

 Jana and me posing at the castle. There is a lot of that.

 The town below.
 I am not sure what this fellow is supposed to be. Maybe a lion?
 Writing on the castle turrets. It was covered from years of visitors.
 Another part of the castle.


 Another part of the castle. Here begins a few questions about the creatures carved there.
 This... deer?... has a funny bottom lip that sticks out like he is pouting from boredom.
 This lion looks like something smells bad near him. There are multiple fountains right in front of the building, but I did not think they smelled bad.
 This deer is grooming himself... I think?
 Poor hog. Stuck under the weight of the building.
We all spent about 5 minutes arguing about what this creature was. I thought it was a bear. If you feel that you know, please tell me.
 I like the sign with the guy telling us not to enter. He looks like a superhero.
 Sheldon telling me a store is closed.
 The awesome table at the authentic and tine german restaurant we went to. It was seriously so small that lots of groups shared tables (of which there were 5 of various shapes and sizes) and the kitchen was on another level and the food was sent up to the bar on a little elevator.

 The restaurant was called Schnitzelbank and the bar tender/waiter spoke English and German and joked around with me. He was very kind.
 The best "don't let your dog crap here" signs in the world. Best part of Germany, hands down. Plus someone added a googly eye to this one.
 Jana with Sammy in the background as we walk around Heidelberg.
 Tina caught mid laugh as she eats subway cookies.
 Monkey statue that has a twin somewhere else in the city according to the riddle next to it.

 Time to take picture in the monkey head.
 I was too short. That was me pulling myself up to it.

 Monkey butt!

 The bridge that is only for pedestrians.
 Love locks on the bridge.
 My sister's ex place of work has a twin in a German city.
 Love the handwritten Cuban cigars sign.
 Do they sell this in the US? I have only seen people mix it together from separate bottles.
 Tina loves Jurassic Park.
 She even has a dinosaur in the bathroom to hold the light up.

 Super cute pillow Tina made.
 Our host's sitting room/office.


 Trying to decide where to walk next.
 Pink building with acres and acres of beautiful gardens and temples within behind the walls.
 A mosque in the gardens. breathtakingly beautiful on the inside.


 The best kinds of stairs in the world. Natural ones.

 Jana with the mosque behind her.
 My three beautiful German hosts.
 Yay for giant trees with decades of love proclamations.
 A sun on the temple to the sun god Apollo.
 Inside of the Apollo temple.
 Random run-down house in between really nice ones. It caught my favor.
 My first trip out and to the grocery store by myself here in Germany. It went smoothly enough. I wanted some snacks.
 View from the library in Goettingen. there was more around, I just liked this shot.
 I ate dinner at an authentic African restaurant in Goettingen with Jana, her sister Lisa, and Philipp yesterday. Philipp had antelope. There were all sorts of other animals on the menu like zebra and such, but I decided not to. What I did have was freakin amazing though. I recommend this restaurant for sure.

 Me this morning before bathing! Now off for another day. I think we are going to a potato restaurant tonight with some of Jana's friends. I am also going to go to Lisa's class on how to have an American accent. Hers is quiet good already. She said her teacher will bug me the entire time. I look forward to it. In the mean time I am working on my research and preparing for my studies that begin in a couple weeks. Ciao!

1 comment:

  1. Love you Peanut! So happy for your adventure.

    ReplyDelete